General FAQ

What does the Professional Liability Policy cover?

The Professional Liability Insurance Policy covers you in your covered practice for bodily injury, personal injury, advertising injury, and limited property damage. The policy also includes supplemental protection for defense reimbursement for licensing board complaints, and no-fault medical.

Where am I covered?

The policy puts no limits on where you can practice (though state or local statutes, including licensing requirements, may). You are covered for services you provide anywhere in the world. However, the policy will only defend you if you are sued in the United States, its territories or possessions, or Canada.

Why are there two limits of coverage on my policy?

The policy has a per-incident limit and an aggregate limit. The per-incident limit is the maximum the policy will pay for one incident/occurrence. The aggregate limit is the maximum the policy will pay if there are multiple suits that apply to the same policy period. Each claim is still subject to the per incident limit.

Do I pay for my defense?

No. If you have a covered claim, the carrier will assign an attorney to defend you. The defense expenses do not diminish the limits available for damages. You are still covered up to your policy limits for settlements or damages. Please note: the carrier does NOT assign attorneys for reimbursement coverages such as licensing board or HIPAA.

When does premises liability apply?

The premises liability coverage applies to the part of any premises used by you in the course of providing professional services.

What are the dollar limits of coverage?

Premises liability is part of your coverage. You have the full limits of the policy available to pay for a covered claim. If you have a $1 million per-incident policy, the policy limits may go up to $1 million for damages. The policy also includes no-fault premises medical payments for bodily injury.

Does Premises Liability coverage apply if the office is in the home?

The premises liability coverage applies to the part of any premises used by you in the course of providing professional services. If you provided professional services out of a home office, the premises liability coverage would apply to that part of your premises. If your office is located in your home, your Homeowner’s policy may or may not apply to business pursuits. It is important to talk to your Homeowner's agent to find out if you need to modify your homeowner's insurance for a home office.

Should the landlord be added as an additional insured to the Professional Liability Policy?

You can list the landlord on your policy if you are required to do so under your lease agreement. In the event of a claim, your policy limits will be shared with all named parties including additional insureds, and landlord additional insureds.

Who can be listed as an additional insured?

You may include as an additional insured any person or entity for whom you have a contractual obligation to provide insurance for your negligence or the negligence of those of whom you are legally liable. Note that the insured cannot have an ownership stake in any entity named as an additional insured.

When should I list an additional insured on my policy?

When you list a third party as an additional insured, you are sharing your limits to protect them. You should only list an additional insured when it is required by contract.